Hi. I’m new to all this. Anyone cruising to Alaska in Sept?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Welcome aboard..... The answer is a resounding "Maybe" I dont think anyone here is getting excited about cruising just yet until the Industry master the health issues. But if you want to talk AK. There are quite a few of us here that can assist with specific topics from normal times in the past if you have questions.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
If you're lucky and they do actually have Alaska packages this year What cruise line/ship and what cruise. Round trip, one way, sailing from Vancouver or a US port, what Alaskan ports? Myself have never done Alaska on an end of season cruise, always spring or early in season, last time was in April 2019 on Prinsess' first cruise of the season and sailed R/T out of San Pedro (L.A.).

For me a great Alaska cruise is an Inside passage R/T out of San Francisco and on Princess or Holland America, I happen to prefer Princess, but that way you have best chance at including Glacier Bay as the cruise ships allowed in Glacier bay is limited and Princess and Holland are at the top of the food chain the rest usually go to Hubbard Glacier, Hubbard is nice but consists of only one glacier where Glacier Bay has several. Round trips usually will only go as far North as Skagway where one way will go to Anchorage with options to add land packages through Denali National Park and you can start at one end or the other which for the cruise will be Anchorage or Vancouver.

Round trips will usually be 7 day if originating from Vancouver and 10 or 10+ if they originate in the states and will stop at either Victoria or Vancouver as a port call.
Lots to see and do in Alaska and only way to describe the scenery is "awesomely beatiful". Bald Eagles live in the tree lines above Ketchikan so if it is one of your stops you will be guaranteed of seeing a lot of Eagles but then you can't go to Alaska without seeing Eagles, it is impossible. And Juneau is good if you want to catch whales, the tour boats always have a good line on where they are.

And BSeabob can tell you where all the good spots are in Vancouver or Victoria.

Hey Bob, Biden is going to open the boarders but Canada isn't, at least you can get to the cabin now, you just can't get back home............... :!O!:

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
CC14 if you are looking for the best cruise for seeing things from the Ship make sure you take a 7 day out of Vancouver or a longer cruise that stops in Vancouver from the South. Generally all 7 dayers from Seattle go to the outside of Vancouver Island to save time and miss what is left of the "Inside Passage" available to big ships. Smaller ships will even see more. Best Inside route is on BC Ferry from Port Hardy or a Washington State Ferry from Bellingham. (the later of course are not 5 star or even one in most cases) Ask questions.

K2-Mich

Wacky Wabbit
Don’t they start to shutdown Alaska cruises mid Aug. Might get a few cruises in early Sept but not much longer.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Not sure about other lines but Princess is showing cruises up to Sept 26th, although it is a 4 day sampler, with 1 port (who would want to do 4 days to Alaska) .

They do show a real cruise on Sept 19th
Roundtrip from Seattle, Washington - 4 Ports:
Seattle, Washington
Ketchikan, Alaska
Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (Scenic Cruising), Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Skagway, Alaska
Victoria, Canada
Seattle, Washington

In the words of a cabin steward ...... rotsa ruck
The way things are going the chances of any Alaska cruises are somewhere slim and none and slim has already bought is bus ticket to get out of town. Just my own opinions (do not try this at home) are that the cruise lines are betting on the come and hoping it comes, it is survival and they are trying to survive.

Last edited:

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Canada does not look like its going to open up to larger ships anytime soon so that will kill all Ak too because of the foreign Port requirement.

George C

Staff Captain
No one knows if you will be able to sail in September to Alaska or anywhere, hopefully you will and have a great cruise. What ship are you booked on ?