Hey Red….How Does Your Garden Grow?

N

nieciez

After all the work on your brick pathway I was wondering about your garden….any “fruits of your labor†yet? You still doing that square foot gardening? I sure miss having a veggie garden...even if I had enough sun required to maintain one I am afraid the "critters" would eat everything between the bunnies, raccoons and deer.

B

BostonsJ

Yea we haven't heard much since the brick laying.

My gardens are just spectacular this year. The one on the end where I throw everything in it is just a pallet of color. People love to stop and look at it. I'll have to take some more pictures. I never got around to that this weekend.

How is your garden coming in Denise?

N

nieciez

It's looking pretty good Judy considering it it's first year for perennials. I need to get out and do some more dead-heading on the daises. My flower boxes suck.....I'll stick to the begonias in the future...the verbena just aren't doing it for me.

B

BostonsJ

Verbena need lots of pruning and lots of water and they fade and come back etc. I put them in my borders they seem to do better not so much in planters. Try the sun impatiens too Denise, although they too need tons of water.

C

Cruise cutie

=yeah Red.. need an update on those raspberries.I am SO jealous.. we have NO room..:(..

I had major abd surgery in 1989 and my Dear MD had a FIT when he found out 1 week post op Momma and I picked 30 quarts of raspberries to make jam & freeze them.... he was like =hammer.... welll it's like this.. it bothers to pick but you going to make them come back in November when I CAN do it easily or just shut up, and leave me alone??.. he asked for the jar of jam and shut up..hehehe..

. BTW found another rhubarb squares recipe my Momma the Rhubarb Queen drools over.. I'll have to post it to you...:)..Joanne

R

red stripe

well... after I evicted the garden bunny, it is doing well :lol

Donna said:
"With Seashells and Cockle Shells" of course - - she is a Addict!

:grin cute Donna

I think I told about it on the Jewel board in Maw's thread.. I will look and see if I have pictures still up that I can share.

I asked maw to do a version of her ramble over there, as you all know what group cruise boards are like.. instant excitement.. followed by inertia.. the longer away the cruise.. the more the inertia :lol But new \'groupies" do not understand this, and they are disappointed by the lack of posts.
So I thought a chat would serve two purposes.. it would allow them to get to know each other.. plus keep the spirits up.. in fact I have just posted and asked for someone to do this on the HAL board also.

But I digress..... :grin I have a tendency to "rick rack" when talking :lol

About the bunny.. I was quite happy to share the basil that he/she was eating way down. As I told Einstein.. I will just buy another plant and put it in a container in the small area next to the house. But then one day I went out and found out that Bun had chomped BIG time on my Beans...
So action had to be taken.
The next morning I went out to that back corner where my picket fenced veg garden is. I first went into the garden to make sure bun was not already in there having an early breakfast.. usually when I go in, he shoots out through the pickets and goes back to his home under the shed. Nothing stirred..so I started to staple up small hole wire. it was hot, bugs were biting.. I was miserable.. :lol

I was on the very last piece (the gate) when all of a sudden there is the sound of a frantic bunny bouncing off the wire.
The poor little devil was IN there, and had been all the time.
So I backed off, opened the gate fully and allowed him to escape.
I worried that I had scared him into moving. But after an absence of one day, I saw him out in the grass eating his new menu.. until he tunnels under the 6 foot solid fence that boarders two sides :grin
Now about the raspberries...
If I had of known that they would take off like they have, I would have planted them alone in the other corner of the whole garden.. they are taking over completely.. and they are covered with berries and potential berries... I could not wait.. and last night I tried one.. talk about sharp! :lol

Since I took this picture of the raspberries then have added about 25% in height and thickness.. I will need to use a machete to get in soon.

48e7d696.jpg

6c643945.jpg

see those beans on the right? that was BB... Before bunny :lol they are now recovering stalks...rhubarb in the back, and cucumbers to the left.

a96d56c6.jpg

this is my rosemary.. I would not hesitate to plant this again as a decorative bush out in the front..

883aa714.jpg

And Fla Jack had asked about the gardenia bush next to the house, as when they were here, it was loaded with buds. Now a lot of them have died back in the photo, but you can see how many there were.

d05b6aa3.jpg

and even the three near the pool deck produced big time, although this photo was taken before they reached their peak.
7f5716b6.jpg

and after a storm we had baby birds down on the grass.. I hung two old feeders, made nests in them and put a baby in each so they were safer and hopefully "mum" could feed them. one made it, but unfortunately the other did not.

7747e9e5.jpg

I bet you are wishing you had not asked me :lol

R

red stripe

thanks Maureen..

[size=x-large]hey cutes... so give up that recipe....[/size]

E

Einstein

Darn ... now EVERYONE knows why we do NOT answer our phone or we disappear for days at a time from here. :grin Gotta love the outdoors and the look on reds face a she did a preliminary test on one of those raspberries yesterday was priceless. :lol

And before ANYONE mentions cordless phones and wireless internet / laptop ... YES we do have those capabilities. However anyone who has tried to reach us on our cell phone for pre cruise activities knows ALL too well my fondness for keeping the cell phone turned OFF. :)P) Well I would venture to say that the same philosophy holds true when red & I head out to the BACK Gardens as she calls them. :dance

N

nieciez

Thanks Red...it is always so nice to take a "walk" in your garden...thanks for the share. I do believe I can smell those gardenias!

Poor baby birds...glad to hear one made it though.

As for phone/and or lap tops out by the pool....my luck they'd get wet, no way. You need to "escape" and relax while at the pool :thumb

R

red stripe

for your edification Einstein...

"Garden" is brit speak....

I personally hate the word "yard".
To me, a yard is usually behind a business, it is cemented in, and it usually has trucks parked there :grin
so I still use the "garden" of my upbringing..

the area as a whole is "garden.. example.."my garden" You can also say "vegetable garden" if you are talking about that area if it. or "flower garden" if you have an area that is totally devoted to flowers etc.

now ends the first foreign language lesson :grin

R

reggae

Such a beautiful garden, Red. You sure have a way with plants! I tried raspberries once, but could not get them to grow.

The little baby birds are so cute, glad you did what you could to try to save them....

S

seamom

OOOooooo...so does this mean we can't tease Red about not having rhubarb any more!!!! Yours is bigger than mine now! (Admittedly rather neglected and unused in a hidden corner) :grin

C

conniecat

Wow, everything looks so nice and organized. And, beautiful, red. My garden is growing wild. I have some volunteer evening primrose taking over. They are beautiful, but only bloom at sunset so you rarely get to enjoy the flowers. As soon as they start to bloom I will take photos.

R

red stripe

Seamom.. you NEGLECT rhubarb??

I will have to turn you into the Rhubarb police..:lol

connie, I use the "square foot" method, as I do not want to have to use a plow :lol

I had some "moon flowers" growing against the fence for a few years, but this year they did not make it. They were on a vine, in the daylight hours all you saw were these light coloured pods, but as the sun went down, they would open into saucer shaped white flowers that had scent.
I really need to see if I can find them again.

I will tell you another vine that is great to grow.
Look for MALABAR SPINACH. It is really not spinach, but tastes like it. It is a beautiful leafy vine with bright green small leaves ( a couple of inches) and red stems.. it also puts out a small cluster of lilac flowers from time to time.

I think you can find a picture of it here. http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2006su_spinach.html

So it can be an ornamental that you can pop out and gather a few leaves and eat.
I do not like cooked spinach yuck! but I like it in a salad.

here is another link.. http://www.sd1new.net/GardenPages/spinach.htm