Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier?

B

Becky B

I am booking a cruise to Alaska for 2003. Is there a significant difference between Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier? Which do you recommend? Also, what is there to do in Misty Fjords?

P

PatJ

We are leaving for Alaska on Aug 30, Going to Hubbard Glacier. Will let you know how it was when we get back. Have never been to Glacier Bay, but my sisters were and said it was awesome. Have fun planning your cruise. Pat

S

sailingrose

Loved them both but give the edge to Glacier Bay because there are many types of glaciers to be seen there.

G

GregR

Did Glacier Bay in May 1998 on Vision and Hubbard this June on the Mercury. We felt that Glacier Bay was far superior. Glacier Bay is much larger with multiple glaciers. Glacier Bay is an all day experience with an onboard National Park Ranger/Interpretor. Hubbard was a partial day with much less to see. At Glacier Bay, we were very close to the primary glacier and spent over an hour adjacent to it. The ship turned 180 degrees midway so that balconeys on both sides got lengthy viewings. Hubbard only has the one glacier, we were several miles away and for most of the time we could only view the Glacier from the bow. Hubbard Bay had much more ice in the water. This kept us further away, but I don't think you can get as close as you do in Glacier Bay. Binoculars are always a good idea in Alaska, but definitely needed for Hubbard. If you have a choice, go to Glacier Bay.

Went through Misty Fijords on the 1998 Vision trip. It is very senic and a good place to spot wildlife from the ship. The day we sailed Misty Fijords was an absolutely gorgeous (but unusual) sunny day. The crew said there is a good reason this fijord is called Misty.

Greg

P

PatJ

Just got back from Hubbard Glacier. The only word to describe it is AWESOME. We stayed in front of it about 2 1/2 hours about a couple hundred yards from it. We saw many calvings and loads of habor seals. It was one ohhh and ahhh after another. There was one other glacier to watch and it too was calving. Our captain turned the boat so everyone could see and we sat horizontal to the glacier for a long time. That way everyone could see its' beauty. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

D

DeniseBl

Hi Becky B,

I've been to Alaska five times. Three times by cruise ship and twice by land. I have cruised to both glacier areas. Both are great and you'll enjoy either of them. However, I personally give the edge to Hubbard Glacier because it is HUGE!

Hubbard Glacier is 6 miles across and 90 miles long - the size of Rhode Island. When the ship pulls up to the glacier it is unbelieveable. I literally said WOW. Its amazing to look at. Glacier Bay does allow you to see a more glaciers, but Hubbard Glacier is the largest tidewater glacier in North America.

Bon Voyage!

Denise

H

Harry

The Hubbard Glacier is nice but, there are many more glaciers in Glacier Bay and last year we could only get within 10 miles of the Hubbard as it is the most active and there was so much ice in the water. We have been 3 time to Alaska na when I asked my wife about it she said Glacier Bay. By the way on cruise #2 a lady in Skagway was convince that we were going to the "Glacier Bay Factory Outlet" I inadvertently burst her bubble and told her the was no shopping there and she informed me her itenerary said different. It's good for a laugh.