Freezing Cherries and Strawberries

S

suer182

Stop Laughing !!!!!!!! Wegmans has the sweetest strawberries and cherries this season. I googled on how to freeze them but has anyone ever done it and is it worth it? Do they come out real mushy when you defrost them ?

Oh, I aint makin no pies or canning them.

W

Whimsy

I have frozen strawberries in the past. They will not be firm for eating but are great for making shortcake, daquiris, etc. Cherries are also good for pies and such.

S

suer182

Thanks Whimsy. I will veto the idea. But will freeze a few and you and Zsa Zsa can come for a daquiri.

R

Rubysky

If you eat them when they are 1/2 thawed they are good. Like popsicle bts.
You would want to pit them first. Too much trouble.
Wait a sec. I might have typed too soon. brb
OK I checked the ones I threw in the freezer before we went away. They are good, didn't wait to thaw any and they were not pitted. Just the thing for a hot day.

Try throwing a handful in the freezer and see how you like them tomorrow.
Only take out a few at a time for snacking so they don't that & get mushy on you.

W

Whimsy

Suer. strawberries are so easy to freeze. Just clean them remove the stems, hulls, whatever you want to call the green bit. Then place them on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer. When frozen just take them off the cookie sheet and put them in a freezer container or ziploc bag. Rubysky is right,. they are good to eat half thawed. If you have some good strawberries now I would do freeze some.

In regards to those cherries, we used to have a cherry pitter. I don't know what happened to it. Probably down in the basment with my canning stuff that I never use anymore.

W

Whimsy

I forgot to add:

Love those daquiri's! Thanks for the invite! BTW, Zsa Zsa does like strawberries. Last night she was eating peaches with me as well.

B

BostonsJ

Something is so wrong. We hardly hear from you except to ask about cooking lately. Are you someone else in cognito? :lol I don't have a big freezer so I can't answer you because I never tried. Is this really you? :grin

C

Corky

Ok, Suer - I've quit laughing now so I can post. :lol

I second the putting the fruit on a cookie sheet first, freezing it, and then putting into freezer bags for later use. You can also do this with grapes, and they are so yummy frozen. :)

S

suer182

Yes it is me or is it I. :lol Well I will try and do the freeze routine for the next batch. I have a bunch of belly achin kids from eating 2 pounds of cherries and one of those green big things of strawberries. Worse comes to worse, frozen strawberry thingess at my house.

D

Donna - dsw

Good for drinks and toppings only as far as I know - - hey I am with Suer - you can buy them frozen! lol