Facial pain question...what was it....

S

seamom

that one of our members had......and dang..gone blank on her board name but I'm pretty sure her real name was Annette (sorry, if you are reading this though you seem rarely on the board lately, I go blank a lot these days..not personal!!)

One of my friends is having a phantom pain in her face running up from her neck and it reminded me of.......arg..keep thinking the board name will come to me...........it was something rarer and difficult to remedy. My friend is having a tough time getting it diagnosed by doctors so she can get some relief. I thought if I could get the name of the problem, I could give it to her to look up and bring to her doc's attention if the symptoms sounded familiar.

Thanks.......now sooner or later the name will come to me.....used to be dental assistant to travel agent with young son who must be about 15 now, Georgiapeach? We used to have fun comparing notes on...Melrose Place?..gosh was it that long ago!!!

R

reggae

That was Nessie, and I sure do miss her on the board. I tried real hard to get in touch with her with PM's, but nothing. She just stopped posting, and never came back.

What she had was Trigeminal Neuralgia. We discussed it quite a bit with each other, because my mother had this condition for many years. They finally came up with a specialized surgery done by a Neurologist, and my mother had it done. They actually go in through the back of the skull and place a teflon strip between the two nerves to keep the nerves from coming in contact with each other, thereby, eliminating the pain.

People that have this describe it as a feeling like an electric shock. It is very painful, and debilitating. Some other treatments include meds, but they are very strong, and they really knock you for a loop.

Seamom, if you want to PM me, I can give you more information on this. There are several routes to go.

I know Nessie had the surgery, and she said she was doing quite well, and pain-free. I sure wish she would post again, and I hope she contines to be pain-free.

P

Priscilla

I have trigeminal neuralgia, and it took a battery of tests to diagnose it correctly. I get fairly satisfactory relief from Tegretol, which is actually for control of seizures The action this condition has on the trigeminal nerve is sorta like a little seizure of the face and neck. I can still fell numbness in that side of my face, in spite of the medication, but the tic-like pain is gone.

S

seamom

NESSIE!!! Of course!!! Thanks reggae.....and I will PM you if she does think it feels like that. I just thought I'd give her the name so she can research it as I knew it was a tough one to pin down.

Thanks all of you....Priscilla..going to read about your latest starring role now..I think I saw you in the Cruise one so it always adds fun to the movie.

R

Ruchela

I suffer from TN myself, every so often. I had a bad episode about a year ago. This,what you describe could also be TMJ.

I spoke to Nessie a while ago. She seemed to be okay. If you all remember, Nessie and I met in NY.for lunch. I can call her on the phone if you want me to. Just PM me.

S

seamom

That's true about TMJ...I have that......my first symptom was different though..I couldn't close my teeth together to eat!! My jaw froze slightly open. I'll mention that to her as a doc may not notice but a dentist would.

N

Nessie

WoW! I just decided to log in and see what was happening on the board. It has been MONTHS since I checked in here, and to see this post was an eye catcher to say the least. First, let me say that it is good to see some of the "old timers' are still here and that there are new posters. I took a voluntary leave of absence from the board for several varied reasons. Life, health, marriage, schedule, studies, family and frustrations. Things are going well for the most part, and in regards to my health...I have been PAIN FREE since my surgery back in August of 2007. I recovered very quickly and was back at work 3 weeks later. I had to give my attentions to relationships and crisis that I am happy to say are much better.

I have taken two cruises since Sept 07 and a few land trips. One recently to Iowa. Driving through ILL. was a trip...soooo flat! Florida and the beach is next week and Talladaga for the NASCAR race the end of April.

Regarding my Trigeminal Neuralgia; I can almost forget I had it. Almost. It got very bad and I was unable to eat, drink or even lick my lips without excruciating pain. It was an electric shock when ever I moved my tongue. I had emergency surgery (Dr scheduled it one week after he saw me at my worst), which lasted 6 hrs. It is bascially brain surgery. They went in behind the right ear, went to the base of the brain and snipped a vein that was laying against the trigeminal nerve. The nerve picked of the pressure of the vein as pain instead of touch. If i had known how much better I would be, and how my quality of life would improve after surgery, I would have had the surgery months earlier. I would not hesitate to recommend the surgery to others if they are suffering like I was.

Seamom, one of the tell tale symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia is that it can hurt to wash your face. I would have your friend go to a neurologist ASAP. I pray that it is not TN and that it can be treated.

Well, hello again to all the folks I remember and to those I have not met. I cant promise that I will be back with any regularity, but I will try.

Hugs to all, Nessie

R

reggae

Nessie, I am SO GLAD to hear that you continue to be pain free! I know we talked about this because my mother had the same surgery, and I'm so glad you had it done. I hope all the other things in your life continue to be okay. Hope your son is doing well too.

So happy to see you on the board again :)

S

seamom

Well! So glad I posted to get Nessie's attention!! Hi NESSIE..so good to see you....and I hadn't forgotten you, just the name (and that's MY neural complaint!!..and besides..I think you were a Georgia Peach at one time? I have a better long term than short term memory.

I'm glad to say that my girlfriend researched this after I brought it to her attention and decided it was not her...no closer to solving but at least not this serious. Thank goodness you and Reggae's mom got relief.