Ever have awful Table Mates?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
We have been very fortunate with good table mates but, a few times we have found ourselves booking the "Specialty Restaurant" or making other plans. Have you ever had awful table mates that made you leave the table or make other plans?

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Only once and we should have changed. It was our second cruise and didn't know any better. We got stuck with two bankers, a minister and their wives. The minister thought I was a fallen woman because I drank and worked in the theatre. One couple never spoke to us the entire trip. The last couple were were, but spent more time talking with their friends (the bankers). It was miserable.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
On our first cruise. Unless we are with friends or family we will only do anytime dining with table for two

Our first cruise was Carnival out of New Orleans on the Tropical our table mates were a couple about our age and a well to do grandma taking her early 20's grandson on his first cruise. He was like a monkey hanging from the chandelier, had met some friends and they were seated couple tables away, yelling to each other throwing food to each other. Grandma apologized but had no control, after the first night we never saw the other couple again and after the second night think grandma took jr to the buffet every night. We had a table for two

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
On our first cruise. Unless we are with friends or family we will only do anytime dining with table for two

Our first cruise was Carnival out of New Orleans on the Tropical our table mates were a couple about our age and a well to do grandma taking her early 20's grandson on his first cruise. He was like a monkey hanging from the chandelier, had met some friends and they were seated couple tables away, yelling to each other throwing food to each other. Grandma apologized but had no control, after the first night we never saw the other couple again and after the second night think grandma took jr to the buffet every night. We had a table for tw
We usually are on the Pacific Princess and they have enacted suite dining. A section of the dining room is set up for us and we can dine whenever we want to (as long as the dining room is open). I thought I'd hate it being just us, but got used to it really quickly.

bob

Staff member
We have probably been doing it for 10-12 years at least and really enjoyed it when Princess had the four themed specialty restaurants, plus unless traveling with others that would require it we stopped formal nights years ago as well, heavyist i pack is a dress shirt and a tie with no intention of using them, so at least two nights we will do low key like the buffet or in cabin out of respect for others and their formal experience, then we will do at least one Grill and if there is a crab shack that is a no brainer so we really don't have a problem with dining. And it allows us to................ ( ) think that next thought might just be a good discussion issue, you'll have to wait in suspense.

George C

Staff Captain
I wouldn’t say we had any Terrible table mates, wife prefers table for two so sometimes we move after one night to then get a table for two. But remember one cruise on navigator we had requested a table for two, but after first night wehad such great table mates we didn’t move.

bob

Staff member
We usually are on the Pacific Princess and they have enacted suite dining. A section of the dining room is set up for us and we can dine whenever we want to (as long as the dining room is open). I thought I'd hate it being just us, but got used to it really quickly.
we usually travel Princess in our favorite mini suite area but about 3 cruises ago Sheryl booked a full suite on the (I think) Ruby, one of the perks was a new option as they were just gearing up the "club class" so there was a private (one of the converted theme restaurants) suite and club class restaurant. Nothing special enough as far as a restaurant to send the folks back home a postcard but A=you didn't need to make a reservation like anytime dining you just walked in and poof a table was available, B=If you were regular the Maitre D' greeted you by name and in our case maybe just the guy but would visit every table. Unfortunately none of the mini's in our area are club class

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
we usually travel Princess in our favorite mini suite area but about 3 cruises ago Sheryl booked a full suite on the (I think) Ruby, one of the perks was a new option as they were just gearing up the "club class" so there was a private (one of the converted theme restaurants) suite and club class restaurant. Nothing special enough as far as a restaurant to send the folks back home a postcard but A=you didn't need to make a reservation like anytime dining you just walked in and poof a table was available, B=If you were regular the Maitre D' greeted you by name and in our case maybe just the guy but would visit every table. Unfortunately none of the mini's in our area are club class
On the Pacific, the two specialty restaurants trade off nights, so it was too much work to put us in one of those, so they sort of partitioned off part of the dining room for the club class folks. It was nice as we had a great group of folks taking care of us and they spoiled us silly. The food is the same as the rest of the dining room and it was nice to be able to eat when we wanted to as opposed to an appointed time.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I went to Alaska once with a bunch of extremely gregarious people. They were not the worst I have travelled with but I have never cruised with them again. Then there was another cruise to the Caribbean a New York couple that were just awful to staff. Never satisfied and I mean never. Watched the staff get even in there own little way eg. Silver ware just a titch out of place. Ensigna's on plates etc. turned to the left or right instead dead center up. Just little things that if you didn't know better would miss. It was great. The couple always left the table quickly and the rest of us were all traveling together and just had something else to laugh about after they left. But actually no real bad issues ever. Anytime dining has us sitting with others.. once in a while now a table for two and the buffet and the variety calls us also.

bob

Staff member
I went to Alaska once with a bunch of extremely gregarious people. They were not the worst I have travelled with but I have never cruised with them again. Then there was a New York couple that were just awful to staff. Never satisfied and I mean never. Watched the staff get even in there own little way eg. Silver ware just a titch out of place. Ensigna's on plates etc. turned to the left or right instead dead center up. Just little things that if you didn't know better would miss. It was great. The couple always left the table quickly and the rest of us were all traveling together and just had something else to laugh about after they left. But actually no real bad issues ever. Anytime dining has us sitting with others.. once in a while now a table for two and the buffet and the variety calls us also.

what are you doing in Alaska don't you get enough snow in Canada, besides you can walk to Alaska

bob

Staff member
Not yet, thankfully :)
I remember a table mate that was going to send me some vegemite .........................:emoticon 0153 brokenheart:

Love ya Oi Oi Oi
BTW seem to forget about Rick sometimes, one of those transparent guys, give the bloke a hug from up over after all he did protect you from pirates

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
We had tablemates like these questionable characters :emoticon 0122 itwasntme:

trouble2.jpg

duck19.jpg

bob

Staff member

PEB

Staff Captain
We have never had terrible tablemates. We usually have a table with at least 6 people or more so there always seems to be someone that we can get along with and some that are not great but never any that were terrible. We did have one lady that was nice all week but on the last night when everyone was taking pictures of the staff she did tell one of the staff he was not good enough for her pictures. Her husband told her how rude she was but there was never a problem throughout the week.

bob

Staff member
You know..I think some of these same people were at my table during that Ak.Trip.
What's your point.............................

Remember we do not take these accusations lightly, even if there is a slight bit of truth to them

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
I went to Alaska once with a bunch of extremely gregarious people. They were not the worst I have travelled with but I have never cruised with them again. Then there was another cruise to the Caribbean a New York couple that were just awful to staff. Never satisfied and I mean never. Watched the staff get even in there own little way eg. Silver ware just a titch out of place. Ensigna's on plates etc. turned to the left or right instead dead center up. Just little things that if you didn't know better would miss. It was great. The couple always left the table quickly and the rest of us were all traveling together and just had something else to laugh about after they left. But actually no real bad issues ever. Anytime dining has us sitting with others.. once in a while now a table for two and the buffet and the variety calls us also.
We had a Canadian couple once on a Tahiti cruise and they had to one up everyone at the table. It reminded me of Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. After a while, they became to butt of everyone's jokes (when they weren't at the table - which was often the case because the Captain invited them to dine in his personal mess. Yeah, right...

bob

Staff member
We had a Canadian couple once on a Tahiti cruise and they had to one up everyone at the table. It reminded me of Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. After a while, they became to butt of everyone's jokes (when they weren't at the table - which was often the case because the Captain invited them to dine in his personal mess. Yeah, right...
Can guarantee you BSea is not an uppity Canadian, he hangs out in the gutter with me.....