Ever check your dna?

George C

Staff Captain
We did DNA on ancestry site, I knew my Dad’s parents migrated from Sicily about 1890. But on my mother’s side I am also Swedish, Finish and Irish and a couple of other things.

crazy4disney

Pool Attendant
I had mine done through 23andMe, and shockingly it said I was 97% Italian, lol. I was just surprised it was less than 100. But what was surprising was the genetics/health results. Out of all the genetic markers for different diseases and syndromes, the only one that came back as positive was a marker for Parkinson's Disease, and I was diagnosed with early-onset PD a couple of years ago. No family history at all. My neurologist said that one or both my parents were likely carriers, and their parents before them, but for whatever reason the time bomb decided to go off in me, lol.

I find it fascinating, though, the sort of traits that are genetic! Like being more likely to be bit by mosquitos, more likely to be afraid of heights, more likely to have freckles, etc. Really interesting stuff.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
I never have and really don't want to. I'm Scottish on my Dad's side (he was born in Aberdeen) and French Canadian on my mum's side (she was born in Montreal).. That's enough for me.