Does Anyone Have A Good Stuffing Recipe?

H

Happy2cu

I have to have Thanksgiving at my house this year and prepare the meal for about 25 people. I have never made stuffing before, and am looking for a good recipe that's not too involved.

K

korinalacount

Donna if you want to try mine,its easy and everyone loves it.

2 loaves of white or wheat bread(your preference)
1 stalk celery(I never use it all so about 5 stalks cut up fine if you want to buy them separate)
2 packages of Johnsonvilles maple breakfast sausage links(cut up in little pieces)I large onion(finely chopped)
3 sticks of butter
1 package of fresh mushrooms(I love mushrooms so use 2) cut up fine
fresh sage(If you cant find it or like my husband who shopped for me didnt get it,use leaf sage,if bottle type use half of bottle,crunch leafs up under your fingers,fresh sage about a bunch of it.

I use my roaster pan before cooking the turket to make dressing,melt butter,while melting add onions and mushrooms to saute,when they are sauted add celery and sausages,and sage. Put heat on stove to low,while dicing cubes of bread,use both loaves,blend together as you cut,till all is mixed,fold really,dont stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.Then cool,refrigerate and rehaet later in day to eat,if stuffing the bird,do after cooking stuffing but do not stuff bird till you have it ready to go into the oven. It is so good!

P

Patti-Cake

This is my mom's recipe and she always just eyes things up so I don't have exact amounts (so I'll guess), but it is easy and delicious.

2 loaves of stale white bread
1 stick butter
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery, including leaves
3 eggs
2-3 tbsp. poultry seasoning (Bell's brand)

Spread the slices of bread out the day before so they get stale. In a saute pan, melt stick of butter, add chopped onion and celery, and saute about 10 minutes until tender but not browned. In a large bowl, tear up bread into small pieces. Pour a cup of water on bread and knead it, then add the eggs and poultry seasoning and continue to knead, then add the butter, onion and celery mixture and salt and pepper to taste and mix. Just stuff it in the turkey and bake.

D

debowah

I will brown a roll of sausage and break it up while cooking, do not drain, then add a large onion (chopped), 3 carrots (chopped) and 3 ribs of celery (chopped). A small amount of wine, then cook until vegetables are soft. Then add 2 cans of chicken broth and equal amounts of water and a stick of butter, a bag of stuffing cubes, either herb or cornbread, your choice. Sometimes I will use half a bag of each. Salt and pepper to taste. Combine all well and place in a foil disposable-type tin. I do not stuff the turkey, too much risk of bacteria growing and food poisoning for me. I do this the night before, one less thing to worry about on Thursday. I will refrigerate overnight and place in oven about one to one and a half hours before the turkey will be done. Moist and yummy. You can add chopped mushrooms if you like. Thanksgiving blessings to all.....

B

BostonsJ

3 bags of seasoned stuffing crouton mix I don't use the sage
or
3 boxs croutons
one oinion
4 stalks of celery or I eyeball it to how much I want
1 roll of breakfast sausage uncooked
2 pounds of ground beef uncooked
1 pound ground pork uncooked

I fill a 2 quart pot with hot water, add a stick of butter and poultry seasoning, heat on stove just until it started to spit.

Take a very large bowl or your roasing pan and put your stuffing mix in the pan and then soak with the liquid a little at a time to the texture you desire.

In another bowl mix all of your meats together.

Cut your onion and celery and mix them with the bread mixture. This is a hand mix for sure it is thick. Then mix it all together. Do not overstuff the bird you need to let the meat cook.

The rest of the stuffing I spray a baking pan with Pam and cook for about 2.5 hours covered with foil.

** If you feel the bread mixture is too dry add some more hot water. It should be quite moist but not soupy. I add the water a little at a time and decide to add more or stop depending on the texture.

C

Calgon1

crock-pot stuffing

Ingredients:
1c. butter
2 c. chopped onions
2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
10 oz. can mushrooms, drained (opt.)
15-16 c. dried, cubed bread crumbs
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2-2 1/2 c. chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten

Directions:
Saute first 5 ingredients. Pour over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Add the seasonings(next 6 ingredients)and toss. Pour in enough broth to moisten. Add eggs. Mix and pack in crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 45 min. Reduce heat to low and cook 4-6 hours.

M

MARIPOSA

SAUSAGE ~ APPLE STUFFING

2 Lbs sweet Italian Sausage (no seeds)
1 cube butter or margarine melted (Nucoe doesn't burn)
2 Cups chopped onions
2 Cups diced celery
2-3 Large cooking apples, peeled (?) and diced (green Pippins)
4 Eggs
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
10 Cups stale white bread cubes (or french bread)

Remove sausage meat from casing. In 8 Qt Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat, cook sausage til brown, stirring frequently to break up sausage. With slotted spoon, spoon sausage into medium bowl; set aside. Pour all but ½ cup fat from Dutch oven, add 1 cube butter; add onions and celery; cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cook 5 minutes longer, remove from heat.

In small bowl mix eggs, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Into apple mixture stir bread cubes, egg mixture and sausage meat. Makes about 14 cups stuffing for 12-14 Lb bird. Stuffing may be cooked separately in buttered 2 Qt casserole pan and baked 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Definitely double the recipe for a crowd.

This is not a very spicy or moist dressing, there is no broth in it, but instead it is light and buttery.

Hugs, Mariposa

W

Whimsy

Stuffing/dressing is all about individuals. Some like sausage in their dressing, some like oysters, some like it made with croutons, some like it made with cornbread. I have hardly met a dressing I didn't like! But one thing I have found in all my years of dressing/stuffing making to make it taste better is to make a stock with the giblets and the neck to which I add celery, onions, salt, pepper and some parsley. I still may have to use some canned stock if I am making alot but there is something about using that turkey stock that gives it a great flavor. And I always use real butter. Your kitchen will smell so good too while the stock simmers.

H

Happy2cu

Thanks for all the ideas! Now the hardest part is figuring out which one to make!

C

Cricket

OMGosh Mariposa ...I have GOT to try yours, although all the others sound wonderful, too. The apples are what hit my eye!

C

Cruise cutie

:grin..MM MM MM.. and as you have so many I am not adding mine...:grin it is So interesting to read all these recipes from all over!! enjoy Donna and Mike and family..=hugs to you from Mark and I....:)..Joanne

N

nieciez

I am reading this late in the game but I see many are very similar to mine and over the years I've done the apples too and that is a VERY nice dressing. One thing that we do for another variety is to add some Ameratto for the liquid and you get a nice sweet almond flavor to your dressing...this is when we make it without sausage or apples. I ALWAYS use onion, celery and fresh mushrooms sauted in lots of real buttter...and ditto on the gibblet/neck stock :thumb