Do you deep fry, smoke or cook your Thanksgiving turkey traditional style?

B

BostonsJ

When I cook a turkey it is traditional style. I won't be cooking this year but the old oven method works for me. How do you cook your turkey?

D

duskbat

I dont cook turkey. prolly wouldnt come out right. But i like the oven way the most ;)

C

Corky

Either fry or oven cook one whole turkey and then a turkey breast just in the oven. Plus we do a spiral cut ham.

L

Linda&Jim

We usually do one in the oven and one in the deep fryer. That makes everyone happy!!!!

E

elliottsmama

Oven. This year it will be hospital turkey. Should I expect pressed or real. That is the 64,000 question :)

M

maw

Like to use Brendas big electric Turkey roaster leaves oven free for all the other dishes that need time there.

J

JANPEP

Oven, I have tryed deep fryed & it just isn't the same. When you deep fry you can't stuff it & that's the best part.

H

Happy2cu

I just bought the Ronco Rotisserie - I had a friend that made chicken and ribs in theirs and it was fantastic.

C

cycofan

I usually just do a breast, since we have a small group - just the four of us and my mom. I do it in the crock pot, of course! :)

C

Calgon1

Since we usually have a lot of family and friends join us, we can't get away with just a breast. Usually do two medium sized turkeys, in paper bags, in the ovens. Plus, we have to have in-bird stuffing.

Do all the baking the day before. Roast birds Thanksgiving morning. Carve and place in casserole/serving dishes. Add juices and cover w/plastic wrap. This frees up the ovens for the casseroles, potatos and other stuff. Nuke in the microwave to heat up and serve everything at once.

However, this year I'm playing around with the idea of doing stuffed Rock Cornish Game Hens for each person. That way everyone gets their own "mini-turkey".

Used to smoke the bird, but no longer have a smoker. Really tastes great and has the added advantage of driving the neighbors nuts! Have no desire to do the deep fryer thing. Can you imagine the embarassment I'd suffer if I (as a firefighter) burned down my own house?!?!?

G

gram

:wave :wave :wave

I do like maw does. WE put two 10 pound turkeys in our electric roaster so we can use the oven for other goodies.

We used to do one 20 pound turkey but found it is easier to have two tens. Not only easier to lift out but you get double the drum sticks, wings, etc.