Cruise Line ONLY Shore Excursions Required - If getting off the ship?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
Would you cruise if the only way you can get off the ship while in port is to take a shore excursion from the cruise line? No 3rd party excursions or just walking around the port on your own. What are your thoughts?

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Probably would not affect the cruise as a cruise but would not get off the ship if my only option was a canned excursion because when you get to the excursions destination the cruise line can not control the surrounding environment so little value. But I do understand the reasoning

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
We usually take ship excursions, mostly because of my disability. It's just easier. However, that said, we do like getting off and wandering around the local stores, especially the grocery stores. I remember going to Huahine and finding Grand Marnier Triple Sec in the liquor aisle of a small grocery store. The only other place we'd seen it was Paris. Such a find! I would miss not having those adventures.

At the same time, if that's what it take to get us cruising again at first, I'm all for it.

RichC

Lecturer
That's another good reason why we'll wait until they lift that restriction before returning to cruise again.
I will not pay extra for onw of their ships tour just to wander around.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I'm not one to take tours but when I do it's not likely to be a Ship's Tour ..So I may or may not go depending on my desperation to cruise for reasons other than just the ship.

George C

Staff Captain
Would not be happy with that, but for many of the Caribbean islands we like staying on the ship. Have not done a ships tour for years. But we do enjoy the private islands and I sure that will be ok to get some beach time.