Crossing fingers and toes.........

B

BostonsJ

Well Mike's old body has finally accepted the medications to thin his blood. He is a smidgen away from the level where they want the coumadin to be. Today all of the drug and IV ports which they placed in case he crashed were removed. He will have IV fluids until he leaves tomorrow to give him a big boost of hydration. He was been trained to give himself injections in the belly today. And he got respiratory therapy and walking today. Tomorrow, .........if his blood levels have remained good, he will come home. He will need oxygen, and he will be restricted except for brief little walks, but they feel he is not in any extreme danger right now. He is still on oxygen, and will be a few weeks, he is still having the huffing and loss of breath, but they say everything is where it needs to be as far as measurements, so coming home to rest may help him regain his strength. He got a little sleep last night which helped him tons. I brought his clothes in tonight and he smiled. He is anxious to come home, take a shower and get into his own heated water bed. His nurse is a lady from NY. So naturally she recognized my accent. Last night not even a comment about us talking about our accents. Tonight, we both were getting razzed by Mike. I said something, Mike totally didn't hear it right, his nurse did and understood me, and we both laughed as he shook his head......For once he was out numbered. He just called and told me his glucose level was within limits for the first time since he was admitted. He has been getting insulin about 3 times a day. So he didn't need the insulin tonight.

He was a different man when I visited him. Still feeling like he has been hit by a truck but excited about coming home. He is cold all of the time now because of the blood thinners so I went out and got him some long sleeve shirts, flannel pants and a fuzzy warm blanket to wrap up in. It will be another couple of weeks before he really is totally out of the woods, but he should start showing more improvement in the coming days. On the way home I picked up some things he asked for as far as food. Snacks that are healthy and not high in sugar or salt. For the first time since Thursday of last week, I may actually sleep well and I'm looking forward to that!

I can't express my thanks enough to all of you.....he is a very blessed man to have pulled through this crisis.

Daddy, well he saw the gastro doctor today. They need to do tests they believe he make have a partial lower intestinal blockage. So more tests.... Paula is concerned that he has these mental status changes so we are having him evaluated for that. Still a long haul on him but for now he is doing OK. The gastro guy who say Daddy the night he almost died was thrilled that he is eating. He said I never would have believed it. You kids told me he would eat again but I thought never..so onward with that... Paula was exhausted, tonight and Joe also because he is battling with insurance paperwork. I told him to put it in an envelope, send it to me and I'd whip it back early next week. It is the least I can do.

Thanks to all of you...., this was way too close for Mike and I. Hugs and thank you all once again. I'll update as I can once Mike is home.

P

popcorn

Better news on both fronts for you! Sounds great and sure hope you do get a good night's sleep.

Liz

S

seamom

Phew...man that guy gave us a scare....kick him now for me! :)...(not really) Just relieved.

J

Jill B

Thanks for the update Judy. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

K

kpopperwell

I'm glad to hear that things are turning around for both Mike and your Dad. Wishing both of them continued speedy recoveries with no more scares. Get some rest, you need it too.

B

bostongal

Judy - I was so happy to read your post this evening and I hope that Mike is home tomorrow night with you, recovering. Now your challenge will be to keep him from trying to do too much too soon. Hope your dad does not have the partial intestional blockage and that he gets stronger.

Hope you get some rest tonight and can start to put some of this stress behind you.

Meg

C

Cruise cutie

=hugs Sweet Bunny Sistah.. having heard your dulcet tones a half hour ago was the BEST!!..:grin..sigh..and I'll sleep too,,, YEAH!!..
I'll be ringing again tomorrow.. snacking on Birthday PIE...PECAN!!.... JUST for you.;)..=lolgang..:kisses Joanne

S

ShipMaven

Judy - wonderful news about the flamingo man improving so well. I hope he does indeed come home tomorrow (bet Killian will be one happy pup), and if he's on oxygen, I hope he knows he can't sneak a cigarette!!!

Good news about your Dad as well.

I hope the black cloud overhead has now disappeared and you'll have only wonderful news to report.

B

BostonsJ

Thanks all. Mary Ann he hasn't had enough breath to suck on a smoke since last Tuesday. It has been a week and he is determined to be done forever. The doctor is giving us both the pill to get us through the tough weeks. Forgot the name.. We have both needed to quit but now, it is important for me to quit so that he has no one smoking around him. :)

C

conniecat

Nice to hear good news from you this time! I wish you success with the smoking. I know you will be glad to have him home.

A

audrey

thanks for the update on Mike I hope he will be coming home soon. prayers will continue for you both

T

Tobyn

Glad to hear another positive report. I'd tell you to kick him in the shin, but not sure you could reach that high . . . . . .

Okay, give the big guy a hug from both of us, and its time to get all better!

C

Corky

Great news to read this morning that Mikes body is reacting positively to all of the meds and more importantly that he himself is feeling better. Can't wait for the word that he is home and resting comfortably. =hug

H

H2O babe

The news sounds positive and I'm happy for you! Best wishes - you both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

K.

J

JANPEP

Oh at last some good news.
Now you can get some much needed rest.
Sure hope he is able to come home.

S

seamom

BJ! Keep up the good fight against smoke...I know it will be a tough one for you both but you certainly have a good reason to support each other. Wish I had the knowledge my boss has as he travels internationally teaching others smoking cessation skills, but I'm just his admin assistant and not near his smoking cessation clinic. Hope the meds help and if not..don't give up..there are many other methods.

Wishing you both strength and many good years of health ahead!

C

cycofan

I'm so sorry to read about all you have been through, but am glad to see things improving! Prayers are with you both!

M

maw

Sure was good to read all the better news this morning. Paw has been asking every day what I hear from Mike. Both of you keep up the good work Hugs.

S

ShipMaven

BostonsJ said:
Thanks all. Mary Ann he hasn't had enough breath to suck on a smoke since last Tuesday. It has been a week and he is determined to be done forever. The doctor is giving us both the pill to get us through the tough weeks. Forgot the name.. We have both needed to quit but now, it is important for me to quit so that he has no one smoking around him. :)

Sorry this is such a wake-up call to quit smoking, but you'll both be better off in the long run. Prayers continue - I hope the next report later today is that Mike's home and comfy in his own bed. Then, to convince Killian that his buddy needs to rest...!