Costa Maya Beaches

BiXLL

Lecturer
LOL, I am doing it myself AGAIN!!!!! I thought I had it figured out that I wanted to go to Maya Chan while there. After more research I can not decide between Maya Chan, Nohoch Kay, or a less known place Almaplena??? Any thoughts/suggestions?

MisterD21

If you take me serious, it's your problem
LMAO!!! BixLL.... welcome to the joy of cruising... i too have had the problem of "choosing" one activity over another. which is why i am doing the same cruise itinerary i have done twice before... because you can always find something different to explore or enjoy. so while i am doing the same itinerary again.... my experience will be different than the other two cruises. Choosing different ships and cruiselines doesn't hurt either. it all adds to the overall experience. yeah... you're comming along nicely my newly addicted friend... soon you'll be making those loved ones you share domicile with sick of the word cruise... and willl want nothing to do with you until the much anticipated sail date arrives... Muhahahahahaha... :clap: so long as you do your homework and keep your ducks in a row, you'll soon be having a blast, with all your worries behind you.

BiXLL

Lecturer
LMAO!!! BixLL.... welcome to the joy of cruising... i too have had the problem of "choosing" one activity over another. which is why i am doing the same cruise itinerary i have done twice before... because you can always find something different to explore or enjoy. so while i am doing the same itinerary again.... my experience will be different than the other two cruises. Choosing different ships and cruiselines doesn't hurt either. it all adds to the overall experience. yeah... you're comming along nicely my newly addicted friend... soon you'll be making those loved ones you share domicile with sick of the word cruise... and willl want nothing to do with you until the much anticipated sail date arrives... Muhahahahahaha... :clap: so long as you do your homework and keep your ducks in a row, you'll soon be having a blast, with all your worries behind you.

You have hit the nail on the head! The wife is ready to throw the computer down the steps!!! Anyway, I figured it out and am booked to go to Maya Chan when we visit Costa Maya.

Now to figure out what Mayan ruins I want to tour........ it never ends!!!!:biggrin:

MisterD21

You have hit the nail on the head! The wife is ready to throw the computer down the steps!!! Anyway, I figured it out and am booked to go to Maya Chan when we visit Costa Maya.

Now to figure out what Mayan ruins I want to tour........ it never ends!!!!:biggrin:

Haha.. i feel your pain. As for the ruins, chichen itza, and palenque are probably the most popular(and arguably most impressive) ruin sites in the yuccatan peninsula. not sure if those are accessable from costa maya though. your best bet would probably be tulum, or kohunlich. as they are located fairly close to costa maya. what other ports are on your itinerary and i might be able to point you in the direction of other mayan ruins.

MisterD21

Roatan, Bay Islands/ Belize city/ Cozumel

Ok, you have plenty of options in a couple of ports here...

Belize : starting with easiest to get to first, Altun Ha, Xuantunich, Cahal Pech, Lamanai, Caracol, El Pilar (there are several more, but most likely not doable from a cruise)

Cozumel: starting with easiest to get to first, San Gervasio , El Cedral, El Castillo, and lastly, on the mainland...Tulum.

I have been to Altun Ha, and will be going to either Lamanai, or Xuantunich on my upcomming cruise. Depending On what others in my family want to do, i might even get to go to San Gervasio, or El Cedral. Eventually i will take a two week vacation to Belize so i can properly see all of the surrounding ruins and not have to do so at a rushed pace.

BiXLL

Lecturer
The trip to Lamanai sounds very interesting with the river cruise to get to it. It is 7 1/2 hours long though and we are only in port for 8 hours?

MisterD21

The trip to Lamanai sounds very interesting with the river cruise to get to it. It is 7 1/2 hours long though and we are only in port for 8 hours?
THEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM.... although i do believe that it is one of the shorex's offered by the cruise ship though, so i think if you booked this with the cruiseline you would get priority tender, and i don't think they would offer it if they couldn't get you back to the ship on time. I am planning on driving to LAMANAI if i can find a road leading to it(as i know there is one). i think i could drive there in 1 1/2 hours(depending on how much driving is off of the western highway. the roads in belize are terrible, usually one lane, gravel/dirt/mud once you leave the main highway).... and BixLL.. i too think Lamanai is probably the best site in Belize as well... but Xuantunich is nothing to sneeze at either.