Cell Phones in Europe - Any ideas

B

ben ward

Any ideas for tempory use of cell phones while on a mediteranian cruise or just use email and skype over the internet?

Thanks,
Ben

T

tkdsl

Most have service with your current cell service provider and they go with ATT on the ship to provide roaming access to make calls.

B

Bobbie

You can rent cell phones in the airport that you're arriving at & leaving out of. It's pretty simple to do & you can buy plans with a certain amount of minutes.

evgal

we bought the the $99 phone from mobal, good little phone but last yr we got $99/ minutes free. so we're set for this yr, have enough min. left. we rented a car in corfu & liked the security of having the phone. the yr before we lost someone in our party in london, was really scary, had to scramble to get change for the pay phone!!! no more lol!

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
My BlackBerry Curve/AT&T is quad band with international service. I've used it from Europe to Hong Kong, at sea, in Canada, Mexico, Central/South America. And it's my everyday cell phone.

Conniemc

3rd Officer
ALL CRUISE LINES now have cell phone access, EXCEPT PRINCESS. It's been reported in all the cruise news.

Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival, HAL...all now have cell phone access. It doesn't matter how great your phone is, if the ship isn't anywhere near a tower, you need to be on a ship that has it's own cell tower. Most do. For some reason, Princess doesn't.

However, unless you have some pressing reason to need to communicate while on vacation, stick with e-mail. Cheaper. I vacation to NOT COMMUNICATE and escape. Oh well.

Conniemc

3rd Officer
Update, I had a signal 24/7 on my Med cruise...I had to return two business calls and put out a couple of fires back home. Since the ship "hugged" the countries pretty close (you almost always saw land), I'm sure the provider I was getting (different each day) was land based.

elcruzer

Deck Crew
Update, I had a signal 24/7 on my Med cruise...I had to return two business calls and put out a couple of fires back home. Since the ship "hugged" the countries pretty close (you almost always saw land), I'm sure the provider I was getting (different each day) was land based.
What was the charge for these calls?

silverservice

as mentioned, if your cell phone is tri or quad band,it will work in europe.
it will log on to the local network. regards, mike, southampton, england.

Irishlady5

Any ideas for tempory use of cell phones while on a mediteranian cruise or just use email and skype over the internet?

Thanks,
Ben

The last couple of cruises we rented a cell phone from Range Rover. It allowed our children to contact us for no cost to them and the fees for using the phone were only about 12 to 17cents per minute depending on the country. It did not cost alot and it was very convenient.

82west

Waiter
Do not relie on skype, except in port at a internet cafe, If i'm not mistaken, the cruise ships block skype on board.

Using your world phone in Europe, might make you take out a new mortgage on your house.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
It's not as expensive as one might think if you remember to TURN OFF YOUR DATA WHILE ROAMING!! I have used my cell phone from Europe to the East to Hong Kong and Australia/New Zealand to the West without astronomical bills. I also use my cell phone at sea daily where service is available.

RichardRod

On one of my recent business trips to Asia, I picked up an inexpensive phone that uses SIM cards. I made sure it was a quad-band. I check online and order SIM cards for the destinations we are visiting. I just flip in the new SIM and my phone becomes a local phone for the area.

We enjoy having the local number so we can call guides, restaurants, and phone numbers we run across on our journeys. I think the last SIM card we bought for cruise was around $10 and included 100 minutes of talk time. The phone does have Skype and Google Voice, which is what we use for calling back to the states using WiFi, when we can get it.