Big OOPS! on the Summit

randy

2nd Officer
Just got back Sunday from a nice week onboard the Summit. Ship was in good shape, activities were well organized, repeaters parties were so numerous that we couldn't keep up with all the free alcohol! However, one item greatly surprised us: Main Dining Room Experience. On every Celebrity cruise we've ever taken (well over a dozen), one of the highlights was always the food and service in the MDR. When we finally showed up at our table after our complementary first night's meal in Normandie, and a second night's dinner at the Captain's Table, the waiter and assistant pretty much ignored us. We had to ask for bread, had our water glasses filled just once, and had to ask for cutlery for subsequent courses once they'd whisked the previous one away (or, in at least one case, dropped the next course on the table without waiting for us to finish the previous one). The headwaiter came by and chastised us for not dining at our table, and to make matters worse, the food quality really suffered. I don't remember a night I didn't get several lobsters, but on this cruise, I couldn't finish even one rubbery creature--after I begged the assistant waiter to bring us some drawn butter, and to take the lobster out of the shell for my wife. Just poor! Were it not for automatic gratuities (paid for by our gem of a TA), I'd have stiffed them both!
By contrast, Normandie was so good we went twice, and dinner in our suite served by our butler was outstanding--so the food quality and service COULD have been better.
Anyhow, just thought I'd pass on the observation and ask if anyone else has noticed such a dramatic decline in the MDR experience on Celebrity lately.

George C

Staff Captain
We only did one Celeberity cruise on Solictice a few years ago , it was a beautifull ship, but food and service in MDR was terrible, 1st night we did not get entree until after 10pm several people gave up and left, we wound up eating at specialty resturants most nights to avoid MDR