Behold the power of the Internet...

G

GloBug

A Jacksonville, Oregon man was the victim of terrorism, or perhaps a personal vendetta or maybe just a cruel prank when belongings were stolen from his property in such a way that he has little chance of getting much of it back.

Police say the belongings were removed a day after a pair of hoax ads appeared on Craigslist. The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of the Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belong-
ings, including a horse, were free for the taking.

But the ads were a hoax. Robert Salisbury had no plans to leave.

The independent contractor was at Emigrant Lake when he got a call from a woman who had stopped by his house to claim his horse.

On his way home he stopped a truck loaded down with his work ladders, lawn mower and weed eater.

"I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did."

The driver sped away after rebuking Salisbury. On his way home he spotted other cars filled with his belongings. Once home he was greeted by close to 30 people rummaging through his barn and front porch.

Salisbury turned some license plate numbers over to police, and late Monday some people who learned of the hoax did return some items taken from the home.

Detectives have contacted Craigslist's legal team to try to trace the ad. Meanwhile, Salisbury could not even relax on his porch swing -- someone took it.

E

ewheelock

How awful, but who in their right mind would think that someone would get rid of their stuff like that, especially just going off and leaving a horse!