Astarita Car Service port of Naples?

kyjan

Pool Attendant
Has anyone heard of or used this company? I got a good quote from them for a tour of the Amalfi Coast but the only reviews are on TripAdvisor, and mostly from people posting only that review soon after signing up on TA.

BruinSteve

Environmental Compliance Officer
Has anyone heard of or used this company? I got a good quote from them for a tour of the Amalfi Coast but the only reviews are on TripAdvisor, and mostly from people posting only that review soon after signing up on TA.

I have done several Europe cruises and have participated for many years on several message boards and have researched Naples for my own port stops as well...and I have NEVER heard of this outfit...

I am always very wary of alleged posters posting on message boards only to plug a particular tour provider...It is unethical but it goes on all over the net...because these people have learned how easy it is to manipulate these boards...

When we toured the Amalfi Coast, we decided to go with Salvatore Lucibello (driveamalfi dot com) after reading reviews from people we knew and trusted only...

Salvatore did a great job on the Amalfi Coast...

Be aware that, in Italy, most tour providers are really drivers only, not guides...Guides require a much more difficult to get license...Drivers can only provide commentary while driving you in their car...they cannot accompany you into tourist sites--which is why they tend to push that "Amalfi Coast" tour--it's done mostly by car...

Personally, the one "don't miss" in the area, to me, is Pompeii--which is incredible...If you hire a driver and wish to see Pompeii, have the arrange an additional licensed guide to take you through that site...

Salvatore, BTW, drives a large Mercedes van which is quite spacious and can easily accommodate a group up to 10 (we had just four of us)...

Good luck...

kyjan

Pool Attendant
BruinSteve,

Thanks so much for your reply. We decided to stay away from this service after not being able to find any info on them. As you said, that is usually a red flag.

We had thought about doing Pompeii, but do really want to see the coastal towns and thought a change of pace from the other ports would be nice. We will be going to ruins in Rome, Ephesus, and Athens and were afraid we might be on ruins overload.

Thanks again,

Jan

lisakrm

I do not know the company you mention- but I was very happy with my choice at naples -giuseppe from sorrento top car- we went to the ruins of pompeii, sorrento and Capri(the island on our own) and it was a perfect day! I know that he offers also other tour in the area and am willing to turn back soon to explore other parts of this beautiful area!!