Ascent /Basseterre

dock

Anyone booked tours for Basseterre?
I’m trying to decide on a good beach with services , to spend a few hours.
Thanks.

drealle

Hey there,

I saw your query about beach tours in Basseterre and thought I'd share our experience. We decided to forgo the organized tours and ventured out on our own to really soak in the local vibe. We caught a minivan bus, distinguishable by its 'H' number plate for a ride with the locals heading to Sandy Bay.

We were dropped at the base of a hill leading to the Brimstone Hill Fortress. The guidebooks might say it's an 800m hike, but it felt longer. The climb took us about 45 minutes, but it was absolutely worth it. The trek through lush greenery with birds flitting around was nothing short of enchanting, and the panoramic views from the fortress were breathtaking.

The fortress itself is steeped in history, dating back to the 1690s. It was fascinating to learn how it was built and expanded by enslaved people from Africa and its strategic military importance over the centuries. The fort has seen many battles, especially the siege of 1782 when the French captured it from the British, who later won it back and fortified it even more.

After exploring the fortress, we headed back down and encountered a playful troop of Vervet Monkeys. The return trip was an adventure in itself as we hitched a ride on another local minivan. The ride was an adrenaline rush, with the driver speeding through tight corners accompanied by vibrant calypso music. Despite the heart-pounding moments, it turned out to be a thrilling experience.

If you're up for an adventure and want to explore at your own pace, I'd recommend this experience over a typical tour any day. It's a fantastic way to connect with the island's history and its people.

Safe travels!