American Airlines Shows Their contempt For The Public One More Time

B

Bruce

I swear I will never fly American again, unless these is just no other way to get to a location.

American to charge for 1st checked bag, Delta balks

By DAVID KOENIG, Associated Press Writer 10 minutes ago

FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.
ADVERTISEMENT

But rival Delta doesn't plan to match American's fee for the first checked bag, a spokeswoman said.

American, the nation's largest carrier, said Wednesday the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags. The other fees will mostly range from $5 to $50 per service, the airline said.

Last month American announced it would join other carriers in charging $25 for second bags checked for some passengers, but it wasn't immediately clear how Wednesday's announcement would affect that.

The planned fee on the first checked bag immediately ran into resistance. Delta Air Lines Inc. spokeswoman Betsy Talton said the Atlanta-based airline is considering all of its options in light of $130-a-barrel oil, but doesn't plan to match the $15 fee American announced.

American plans to cut domestic flight capacity by 11 percent to 12 percent in the fourth quarter. American had previously expected fourth-quarter capacity to fall 4.6 percent from the same period in 2007.

Parent AMR Corp. said reduced flying will lead to an undisclosed number of job cuts at both American and its American Eagle subsidiary.

AMR expects to retire 45 to 50 planes from its fleet, most of them gas-guzzling MD-80 aircraft. Those were the plane grounded for faulty wiring last month.

American said rising oil prices have increased its expected annual fuel costs by nearly $3 billion since the start of the year.

AMR shares tumbled $1.10, or 13.4 percent, to $7.10 after the announcement which came as its shareholders gathered for their annual meeting.

I

islandJim

Considering that you can still fly to most locations cheaper than driving your car there due to gas prices you really can't blame them. This is just the start of things to come. When the full effect of the fuel prices hit, a $15 bag fee will seem petty. I just returned from Myrtle Beach and paid a $20 per bag charge with Spirit Air, and it was still less than I would have spent on gas alone if I had driven. Not to mention tolls, food and wear and tear on my car.

Jim

D

Donna - dsw

I think the prices will continue to raise with the cost of fuel - and how else is it going to be fair unless you charge per bag. But, they should give notice and not just start at once.

S

ShipMaven

American went on my "I'll use someone else if I can" list when they took over TWA, and then eliminated them. :devil

N

nieciez

I don't like it but we ALL have felt the impact of these gas prices doubling....I am sure it's been very difficult for the airlines and cruise lines as well. The price of EVERYTHING is going up. I also heard on the radio in the same news broadcast that I heard of this luggage thing that there is talk in Congress for a investigation into WHY the price of fuel is going up so rapidly to make sure there is no big time fraud going on and the possibility that these oil futures traders aren't lining their pockets, along with the oil companies and the oil rich countries at the expense of the worlds consumers. Let's face it....we are a captive audience.

S

ShipMaven

Denise - yes, I'd say some investigations are most definitely in order. The oil companies have been showing record profits. Disgustingly record profits. Historically, when the price of crude has gone up, the price at the pump has gone up immediately. When the price of crude has come down, the price at the pump has taken its good old time to come down. Seems to me if the cost can go up so quickly, it can come down with the same speed. We have vast oil fields in Alaska - why is that oil shipped overseas instead of being used here by us? Sorry - I'll get off my soap box.

R

reggae

Can you imagine the amount of "carry-on" stuff that will be hauled in the cabin area of the planes now?

I thought I had seen everything, when I saw a guy carry-on a Christmas tree and jam it into the overhead bin. :dizzy

S

sage

Mary Ann, we need more people on that "soapbox" until they hear just how unhappy we are. I think that we will see the cary on standards tightened as well. With what some people carry on, that may not be a bad thing.

S

ShipMaven

Carry-on restrictions are already in place in some areas, especially travelling via the London airports and on the European continent. In some places, not only do you have a low weight restriction for carry-ons (like 16 lbs) but also dimensional restrictions on height, length and depth (girth).

S

suer182

On my last flight, on USsleeze ooops Usair, they kept announcing, if it dont fit, it gets checked.

I am sure us Ugly Americans will throw hissy fits that they cant bring the kitchen sink with their other gazillion carry-ons.

C

Cricket

We purchased our 5 tickets before the May 12th deadline of charging for a second piece of luggage. Well, for once things worked out favorably for us!

C

Corky

I guess on my next two cruises you all will see me in a black skirt, a short one and a long one, and many pretty shirts.

Should cut down on the number of shoes I need to bring. One pair of strappy sandals and one pair of heels. :D

J

Jeana

Why don't they just call it what it is... fuel surcharge? At least they would be honest and you can respect that. I hate feeling deceived - just tell the truth! Pretty soon they'll be weighing passengers and charging per pound!

J

J.E. M.

At what point in the pricing structure, 5, 6, 7, dollars a gallon will Congress allow the oil companies to drill in AK, and off shore?

F

frito

Ladies and Gentlemen, we the American public are being screwed blind by the oil companies and the
Witt clan ( Dims, Halfs, Nits, etc.) that make up our government aren't going to do a darn thing except make a little show every now and then.
The oil companies have a right to make a profit but they are slowly but surely crippling this country. There comes a point to where profit , greed and gouging have to be separated. That time is long past. It's not only gas but food, clothing, medicine, --you name it--it's affected by this blatant greed.
The airlines won't be able to stay in business much longer as they will have to continually raise prices, cut costs
etc. to try to make it and in the meantime people won't be able to pay the prices to fly so around we go. Always back to the cost of oil and the greed by the oil companies. Cruise prices will go up too as the cruise lines will have to keep paying more and more for fuel so that will be passed on to the consumer. If something doesn't give within a short time, only the wealthy will be able to fly and cruise, the cruiselines will have to park some of their ships and we will just have to sit around and look at all our old cruise photos instead of cruising.

When it hits the point that this country basically comes to a standstill, then and only then will the Witt clan try to do something.
I don't mean to preach or get too political but if you go back 25-30 years ago--regardless of which party was in power and regardless of who was president--if they had sat down and worked together and laid out an energy plan we wouldn't be in this mess today. You have to start somewhere and sometime. So, if they would lay politics aside, get the brains of the country together ( which would mean they would have to go outside Washington )
and start now, in a few years we could tell the middle east where to put their oil.
Hey--I'm rolling--don't stop me now-- we hear all this hype about race, gender, etc. in the current Presidential thingee--- let me say this--I don't care if the President is a black man--I don't care if it's a white woman--I don't care if it's a man who likes to wear lipstick, pantyhose and a bra--- I don't care if It's a woman who likes to wear men's boxer shorts and smoke cigars--- what we have to have is someone --anyone --who has the balls to say enough is enough and do something for the average person and forget about playing political games at our country's expense. Thank you. Vote for me --I'll fix it and give everyone on the board here a free cruise !!:wave :wave

J

Jim

Contempt for passengers???

No WAY!!!

You want to see contempt? Look to your politicians that will not let us drill or build refineries!!!!!

If you follow thier warped logic. We will be back in caves before we "discover" alternative fuels! Will they care?

NO, as long as ALL of us are STUPID enough to keep re-electing them!!!!