Alaska whale watching in Juneau

C

cfrieday

Looking to book a whale watching tour when in Juneau in Sept. I am looking for the best recommendations. Would like to avoid the long lines and excursions through the ship. Thanks for you help

K

Krazy Kruizers

A couple of years ago we used Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises. Loved it.

Loydene

We went with Harv & Marv in mid July and had a fabulous day! Jay (one of Harv/Marv - don't know which!) was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable and in a 6 person boat, the viewing was great!

zydecocruiser

Lecturer
I went through the cruise line a couple of months ago, but next time it will be with Captain Larry.

Suez

2nd Officer
We went with Captain Larryof Orca Enterprise back in 2000. A very good excursion, and one of our fondest memories of our Alaskan cruise.

Suez

Mr. Utley

2nd Officer
Captain Larry can find the whales, but he smokes and his beard is a fire hazard.

Einstein

Staff Captain
Hmmm ... Perhaps he has given up the nasty habit as I have because I never saw him light up the entire time we were on the excursion. :clap: In fact as I recall he was always chewing on candy so perhaps he just gave it up. :confused:

Captain Larry can find the whales, but he smokes and his beard is a fire hazard.

Einstein

Staff Captain
I would recommend Capt. Larry although IMO I think ALL the excursion operators work together in passing info around on whale locations. :shrug: So any IMO would probably provide similar whale viewing opportunities. :confused: Capt. Larry's was easy to find from the local pier as we made the walk in about 15 mins. :dance: Good Luck on your research. :boogie:

Looking to book a whale watching tour when in Juneau in Sept. I am looking for the best recommendations. Would like to avoid the long lines and excursions through the ship. Thanks for you help

PEB

Staff Captain
We always go with Captain Larry. Here are some of the resons why we do use him.

1. He has been doing whale watching in Alaska for close to 40 years.

2. He never fills his boats and his boats were designed by him for whale watching.

3. He has the fastest boats in the area and can get to areas where whales are being seen much quicker then others and sometimes farther away then others can get to because of the speed his boats go.

4. His boat and engine design cause less noise below water which tends to not scare away sea life as much as some of the other boats.

5. His knowledge and his crew knowledge of whales is top notch.

6. We have used Captain Larry many times and we always see something new and we always learn something new from him and we are fanatics on whale watching. We have done much studying on the subject of whales and have many books on whales but Captain Larry always finds us new information.

BarbaraK

Safety Officer
:doubleup: What Peb said :biggrin:
We have been with Captain Larry several times now and will be going with him again in May. We usually take a 'back to back ' with him. Our first ever whale watching trip on our first cruise was very disappointing and so on our second cruise we decided to try Orca Enterprises we were not disappointed.
Like E said I am not sure if he has given up smoking but we have never seen him smoke in the approx 9 years we have been on his tours.