Adventures in learning how to cook

G

GloBug

My DD is 20 yrs old, and basically, has her first boyfriend. He is a horticulturist in training, a musician and just a great guy. DD has been inspired to learn to cook for him, and today she decided to roast veggies and make foccia bread to take him lunch since he works on weekends.

When she's cooking, I've learned to stay around the house, because I know I am her at-home reference source!

At one point, I demonstrated what "kneading" bread dough means, and about putting it in a bowl, covering it, setting it in a warm place, and letting it rise. After 30 minutes, it hadn't even started to rise. I checked her yeast, asked her what she did, everything seemed right. I told her to start it over again. I watched as she measured the water to add to her yeast and saw her put it in the microwave. WOAH. WAIT A MINUTE. DID YOU USE BOILING WATER? I had to put on my Alton Brown cap and explain about blooming your yeast and not killing it... yadda yadda yadda...

So, she used warm tap water, redid her dough, and 30 minutes later, it had doubled in size.

She made foccia bread and roasted veggie sandwiches with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar, and the Italian cookies she made for dessert turned out yummy.

Lucky boy.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

M

maw

Very nice. Congratulations to her on trying. I could use one of those sanwiches abt now.

R

Rubysky

Looks great.

I thought I would never be able to teach my daughter how to make piecrust. She kept insisting on putting all the ingredients in the bowl at once before mixing.

G

GloBug

I do tell her after a failure that that's how you learn, and to not give up. I also tell her to read the recipe, not just the ingredients! That she's learning!

C

conniecat

Oh that looks so good, Glo! I had a son who loved to cook. He was very good, loved to experiment. At one point he actually considered becoing a chef. I think it was the clean up that changed his mind. Until you're in charge, you have to clean it up yourself!

G

GloBug

Yes, she DID do a great job. Unfortunately, she thinks it ends there. DON'T WORRY MOM, I'LL DO THE DISHES must mean something else in twenty-somethingese then it does in English, because when I got back from running a bunch of chores, she was out of the house, and the sink had dishes still in it. Believe me, a sheet pan that was coated with oil, rinsed off with water and stood in the drainer is not clean!