A funny thing happened on the way to the Mortuary

B

BostonsJ

In this little mortuary I open in the morning by myself. It is a very old building with big high ceilings and chandeliers everywhere. Like an old estate. The problem is the building is so old the light switches are not where you would think they should be, and I am still trying to remember where they are as I go through the 8 old rooms turning everything on. Not exactly for the faint of heart.

Well this morning I walked in and went to turn one switch on and realized that the promise that was not supposed to be brought to us until this afternoon, had been brought into our care during the night. I turned on the chapel light and went in and greeted her a good morning and told her how beautiful she looked in her Arabian show horse riding outfit. I straightened her clothing a bit, told her that we would put her veil on her in a little while, patted her hand and then went on to open up the rest of the building and turn on the rest of the lights. I went back to the Chapel and was setting up the candles for the Rosary tonight and the Crucifix when I heard the door bell ring. We have bells so that when someone walks in any of the doors we hear them. I figured maybe it was a flower delivery and went to the back door. No one there. So then I went back down the halls and to the front and there stood the front door wide open but no one was in the lobby. Tentatively I start walking through the mortuary checking every room. No one was there.

So I went back to my little lady and I said OK Miss $$$$ good try, but it is going to take more than that to send me screaming. I asked her if she had stepped out for a cup of coffee next door and left the door open behind her. :grin You know she had this great quirkish smile on her face, I just chuckled having a good feel for the person she must have been.

When her family came in this afternoon I asked her sister if she was a practical joker. Ohhhhhh yes she said how did you know that? So I told her what happened and boy was she ever laughing. Yup that was her she said, she loved to joke around. What did you do she asked? So I told her that we had a little discussion about her joke. The sister loved it that we talk to our people and that we believe that the spirit is sometimes still around. She said it made her feel closer to her sister. She thanked me for serving her family and I told her it had been my honor and wished her peace. She then asked me to stay for the Private Rosary. The director stepped in and said Oh I know Judy would otherwise accept your kind invitation but explained that I share a love of animals with them, and that my baby needed me tonight because of his surgery. She hugged me and said please go to your baby I do understand.

THAT is why I do this. Did the wind open the door?? Maybe, but I didn't notice even a breeze this morning. Mike said well maybe when you spoke to her this morning that is when her spirit left and she used the front door! LOL I have him believing the unbelievable now. There are many unexplained things that happen in this business. After a while you just learn to decide for yourself what you believe in any given circumstance.

J

JacquieP

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Mortuary

I'm a very firm believer that strange things happen with peoples spirits. They're never predictable, and we most likely will never completely understand them.

P

popcorn

Thanks for sharing this.

Liz

C

Corky

Glad you are there to witness all of that and to be such a comfort to the families, I personally couldn't do it. =hug

E

ewheelock

Judy, you are an awesome person. I hope that there is some one like you around when I need them the most! That is a great story,

S

seamom

I love cool stories like that......give me goosebumps.

It's universal law (or something equally scientifically logical and deep :) ) that says energy transfers into something else, so why not the body's energy into a spirit whether it be the wind that opens a door or a book that suddenly finds the energy to move and fall onto the floor without apparent cause.....as long as it can be humourous or cause you to wonder about the after world, without having an ill effect, how wonderful it is to embrace the occasion and think of it as having one last laugh or moment shared with the parting loved one.

R

rooy

GREAT story! i totally agree with the spirit thing as i have had experiences that cannot be explained otherwise. thank you for sharing a nice story in such a witty way.

D

Donna - dsw

You just never know!

R

reggae

I just don't know how you do it, Judy. You have way more fearless, than I would be :)

That mortuary is fortunate to have someone like you on their staff.

N

nieciez

You a very special person Judy and I don't doubt for a minute that she was with you as she knew that. I think you really found a nitch in this career of your's. I know the families really appreciate your touch.

C

cycofan

There is no doubt in my mind that you have found your calling, Judy! What a special thing that must have been for that family!

B

Brian J

I think this place should be on a episode of Ghost Hunters!!

M

mrsrocster

Wow, I personally know that I could not do what you do for a living, but am very thankful that we have folks like you in this world! I also would not have gone back to discuss this with that body, I would have been about 10 miles out by that point...on foot!....LOL!

Thanks for a re-count of your day......you really have a way of telling stories and I really enjoy them!

Glad to hear the Killian is doing better!

Michelle